At 48, I’ve been dealing with the ups and downs of perimenopause. Anxiety, weight gain, sleep disruption, irregular cycles, headaches, and more.
If you’re in the same boat as me, you know what I’m talking about!
There are a number of ways you can support overall hormone health and this tiny seed is one of them.
I’ve been incorporating this seed into my daily routine for years now. It’s part of my hormone-balancing routine and it helps keep me ‘uh hum’… regular.
How flaxseeds help with hormone balance
Flaxseeds are rich in lignans, which are phytoestrogens that mimic estrogen in the body. This can be great for women during perimenopause when estrogen levels start to fluctuate.
Flaxseeds are also packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which not only help balance hormones but also boost your heart health.
And let’s not forget about fiber! Flaxseed consumption can keep that belly flat (keeping the bloat down) and your digestive system happy.
Five ways to incorporate flaxseeds into your daily nutrition
- Smoothies — toss a tablespoon into your daily smoothie.
- Flax eggs — replace regular eggs in your baking recipes. Here’s how: 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 2.5 tablespoons of water. Mix and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on everything! Add some crunch to your salads and yogurts with the whole seeds.
- Sprinkle freshly ground flaxseeds over cereal or oatmeal can be an amazing start to your day. You can also add it to your toast!
- Flaxseed oil — use it in dressings or for low-heat cooking.
Perimenopause might be a roller coaster, but it doesn’t mean you can’t take the wheel. Including simple things like nutrient-dense foods, movement, sleep, and flaxseeds can help you steer in the right direction.