Sometimes I want my healthy living tips distilled into a quick, easy, and actionable format. I am guessing you might feel the same!
As an integrative nutrition health and fitness coach with over 20 years of experience in living a healthy life (mostly) - I have a few tips to offer you! Take one or take all of them and apply them to your unique situation.
We are all bio-individual humans. What works for me, might not work for you, and vice versa.
Here are 49 one-sentence tips for living a longer, healthier, and happier life:
- Start each day with a glass of warm lemon water to kickstart your digestion and hydrate your body.
- Swap out soda for sparkling water with a splash of fruit juice for a healthier, fizzy alternative.
- Take regular breaks from sitting to stretch and move your body throughout the day.
- Include a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables in your meals to ensure a wide range of nutrients.
- Find an exercise routine you enjoy, whether it's dancing, hiking, or swimming, to stay active and motivated.
- Practice mindful eating by savoring each bite and paying attention to your body's hunger and fullness cues.
- Prioritize sleep by establishing a consistent bedtime routine and creating a calm sleeping environment. Think dark and cool room!
- Laugh often - it reduces stress, boosts your mood, and improves overall well-being. My favorite!
- Practice gratitude by writing down three things you're thankful for each day. It's a great way to start or end your day.
- Drink green tea regularly for its antioxidants and potential health benefits. I make mine as a cold brew with hibiscus and add it to my smoothies.
- Get outdoors and soak up some vitamin D from the sun for improved mood and bone health.
- Practice deep breathing exercises to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Maintain strong social connections with friends and loved ones for emotional support and fulfillment.
- Include healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and olive oil in your diet for brain health and satiety.
- Learn a new skill or hobby to challenge your mind and stimulate creativity.
- Minimize processed food consumption and opt for whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible.
- Take time for self-care activities that recharge your energy and promote a sense of well-being.
- Engage in regular strength training exercises to build muscle and maintain bone density.
- Reduce your intake of added sugars and opt for natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
- Cultivate a positive mindset by reframing negative thoughts and focusing on self-empowerment. You can always choose the next best thought or feeling.
- Practice portion control by using smaller plates and listening to your body's hunger and fullness signals.
- Incorporate probiotic-rich foods like yogurt and kimchi to support a healthy gut microbiome.
- Keep your mind sharp by solving puzzles, playing brain games, or learning a new language.
- Set realistic goals and celebrate small victories along the way to maintain motivation. High-five yourself in the mirror!
- Limit alcohol consumption and drink in moderation to protect your liver and overall health.
- Spend time in nature to reduce stress, boost mood, and improve mental well-being.
- Practice good posture to prevent back pain and maintain proper alignment.
- Stay hydrated by drinking enough water throughout the day to support your body.
- Practice good hand hygiene to reduce the risk of illness and the spread of germs. I always wash my hands after being in public.
- Incorporate meditation or mindfulness practices into your daily routine for stress reduction.
- Invest in a comfortable mattress and pillow to improve sleep quality and support spinal health.
- Practice forgiveness, both for yourself and others, to release emotional burdens and promote peace.
- Engage in regular cardiovascular exercise to strengthen your heart and improve circulation. My favorite is HIIT.
- Prioritize whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, and oats for added fiber and nutritional value.
- Unplug from technology for designated periods to reduce screen time and promote mental well-being. This feels amazing - please give it a try!
- Stay socially active by joining clubs, volunteering, or participating in group activities. I have found that being part of a club has brought a lot more joy into my life.
- Practice safe sun exposure by wearing sunscreen and protective clothing to prevent skin damage.
- Prioritize dark leafy greens for added nutrients. I add them to everything including my smoothies, or any pasta dish.
- Practice self-compassion and treat yourself with kindness and understanding.
- Practice writing in a journal to reflect on positive experiences and foster a positive mindset.
- Step out of your comfort zone by at least one step - remember that action is the antidote to fear.
- Make time for hobbies and activities that bring you joy and allow you to unwind.
- Remember that it's good to feel good. Let yourself enjoy every moment.
- Engage in regular stretching exercises and/or yoga to improve flexibility and prevent muscle stiffness.
- Get plenty of protein into your diet for energy, satiety, bone health and so much more!
- Find healthy alternatives to your favorite indulgent foods, such as homemade baked goods with healthier ingredients.
- Practice self-reflection and introspection to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and your needs.
- Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who uplift and inspire you. It is ok to let go of relationships that drain you.
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly to maintain overall health and prevent dental problems.
Remember, these tips are meant to provide general guidance, and it's always important to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice and guidance based on your specific needs and circumstances.