Do you know what your #1 asset is in your life? It's not your home, boat, or the money you have in the bank.
It is YOU! In order to enjoy your monetary assets, your family, and all of the adventures and joy in life, optimizing your health can make it 1000X better and last longer!
If you don't have enough energy because you are not getting in enough quality nutrients or sleep, how can you fully enjoy your day?
YOU are your #1 asset in life.
On nights I don't get good sleep, I suffer the next day with low mood and fatigue that literally makes my day 30% less enjoyable. I try to counter it with nutrient-dense foods, extra protein, and a nap. You can always move forward from an unhealthy meal or choice (or just a bad night of sleep at no fault of your own).
I'm trying my darndest to live to a healthy 100 by doing everything possible to keep my body and brain as healthy as possible. I'm not perfect in this pursuit (gotta live a little)! I aim to live a little by eating healthy 80-90% of the time and indulging in what I want. It works for me. Restrictive eating is typically not sustainable. That is why the moderation eating style works best for me.
If you are just starting out in your 'get healthier' journey, then these questions are a perfect way to get started.
Take 1 or take them all, reflect on the questions, and be brutally honest with yourself with your answer. Being honest and open with yourself here can be an essential catalyst to positive change.
I suggest getting your journal out and writing your answers there.
After you answer the questions, think about a few things you can do to change a healthy habit or add a healthy one to your life. Remember, change happens in small steps. Take one step at a time, then another, then another. Each step builds upon the last.
It's important to not change too many things all at once. That is a recipe for disaster. Master one area of health, then move to the next once you've got that down solid. Think of it like starting a new job. You can't learn everything all at once. You start with learning one thing about the job, you practice it, then you move on to learning the next part of the job. You can't start on day 1 doing everything or you'd end up quitting that day!
30 questions to challenge you to become your healthiest self:
- What is your definition of a healthy lifestyle, and are you living it?
- What small changes can you make to your daily routine to improve your health?
- Are you taking care of your spiritual needs? If not, how can you start?
- Are you using your creativity to benefit your health and well-being?
- How do your finances impact your ability to live a healthy lifestyle?
- Are you satisfied with your career's impact on your health and well-being?
- What new skills or knowledge could you acquire to improve your health?
- Are you making an effort to maintain a healthy lifestyle? If not, why not?
- How much physical activity do you get each day? How could you increase it?
- Are you preparing your meals at home? If not, how could you start?
- How can you create a healthier environment in your home?
- How do your relationships impact your health?
- How often do you socialize with others? Is it enough to benefit your health?
- What brings you joy, and how can you incorporate more of it into your life?
- How do you manage stress, and is it affecting your health?
- Are you getting enough sleep, and is it quality sleep?
- Are you drinking enough water?
- How often do you engage in activities that challenge your brain?
- Are you taking steps to prevent illness and disease?
- How do your thoughts and beliefs impact your health and well-being?
- Do you have any unhealthy habits you need to break?
- How can you prioritize self-care in your life?
- Are you getting enough sunlight and vitamin D?
- How can you incorporate mindfulness into your daily routine?
- Are you satisfied with your current level of fitness?
- What new physical activities could you try to improve your health and fitness?
- How can you improve your posture?
- Are you getting enough variety in your diet?
- How can you incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet?
- How can you reduce your exposure to toxins in your environment?
Even as a health coach with 2 decades behind me of living healthy, I am always learning and growing in my health journey. Right now I am pondering question number 25. My hormones and body and changing, therefore, I am asking myself if my current fitness level is right for me at this point in my life. I know that I need to add more strength training in as I am losing lean muscle mass as I age and I need to boost my metabolism.
Your health plays an essential role in living a full and happy life. I hope that these questions inspire you to start today on your health journey. The key is small consistent positive health changes over time.